Milly Steger (1881–1948)

Born in Rheinberg, Germany, Steger studied in Düsseldorf and briefly with Georg Kolbe in Berlin in 1900, and then in Florence in 1905. Steger made a distinct contribution to art through her sculpture, as related to architecture. Few sculptors have been as successful as she in incorporating their work as a structural part of buildings. Before the first World War she achieved her monumental figures, which she personally hewed out of stone, for the facade of the Municipal Theatre at Hagen. Here she lived and worked for many years (between 1910 and 1917) in the circle surrounding Dr Karl Ernst Osthaus, one of the important industrialists of the Ruhr. She also completed a head above the portal of the Folkwang Museum in Hagen in 1912. In Danzig she executed sculptures for the City Hall, the Savings Bank, the School Building and the Municipal Museum, and after the first World War at Hamburg where her monumental sculpture was incorporated as part of the Cooperative Warehouse. She taught at the Academy in Berlin. What makes the work of Milly Steger so remarkable is that she had that rare combination of being able to create her monumental work which reached great simplicity and repose, and at the same time to create delicate, porcelain-like busts and figures, some of which were reproduced by the famous porcelain firm of Rosenthal and Company, Berlin.

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Amazon Ads



Sports &
Outdoors




Top Cameras



Top Electronics



Monitors


 


Art